Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sluurrpp

I have a mad crave boiling inside me right now. It is causing an emotional turmoil within my skin without showing an end. I have succumbed to addiction that is beyond normal means of detoxification. It may end up, that I, a pathetic, self-admitting and self-loathing addict, will have to commit to rehab for this substance, this magical creation of human kind, as I will surely head nowhere but down should I not address this addiction and nip it in the bud.

Meet the substance that has put me in this addictive trance and destroyed whatever sense of reality I had within me…

STROOPWAFEL

According to Wikipedia, a stroopwafel is a waffle made from two thin layers of baked batter with a caramel-like syrup filling in the middle. They were first made in Gouda in the Netherlands, in 1784. Large versions are sold in the streets as snacks.

I was first introduced to these heavenly wafers back in 2007 when a Dutch colleague brought it over for an aircraft oven demonstration. At first it didn’t seem like that big of a deal. But now, a few years after I first tasted it, I started craving for it like a junkie looking for a fix.

Praise God, and as if Fate has already written it as my destiny, my responsibility in my day job has carried me across the oceans and mountains to the land of the Orange, where this heavenly, mouth-watering, perfectly sweet, satisfying, orgasmic, tongue-teasing dessert was first created.


These circle-shaped bites of paradise can’t be healthy; gooey caramel sandwiched by two rich waffles can only mean a detrimentally ridiculous sugar and calorie count. But in a single sitting, I can finish 10 large Stroopwafels. Large sizes are usually about 3-4 inches across. Believe that!



Whoever you are, regardless whether you know me or not, if you end up in Amsterdam, or any other Dutch city for that matter, I ask… no,  I beg you to please bring back a pack of these mystical, disc-shaped cookies for me to indulge and entertain my craving. If you do that, I will love you for life!


Oh, if you haven’t had a chance to try it for yourself, believe me, you will not regret it! Sllluuurrrppp! I can imagine it already… Alamak! Saliva dropped on laptop keyboard. How?

No comments: